Sunday, April 29, 2012

What are you reading?

I just finished the book The Eleventh Plague and I have to say I was a little disappointed.  All the reviews for it claimed that it was on the same level as The Hunger Games, but it was definitely not.  I am not saying that it was awful, it just didn't have the same level of excitement.  I would recommend it to my students because I do think that it will interest them, but I won't build it up to be like The Hunger Games. 
It is about a young boy named Stephen who loses his family and has to make it in a world that was devastated by war and disease.  It is definitely futuristic and somewhat dystopian.  It was easy to read and the story line isn't that complicated so even my reluctant readers will be able to follow and enjoy. 

I just started Empty.  This book seems like it might be a bit more interesting.  It is set in the U.S. in the future when gas prices are $20 or more a gallon.  Not too hard to imagine, yes?  I think it will be an easy read also. 

The Bar Code TattooI just ordered 10 books from Scholastic that I think my class will enjoy.  Some of my students have already read The Bar Code Tattoo so I ordered the sequel.  I hope it is as good as the first book.  I have already read The Maze Runner Trilogy and loved it so I ordered the books for my classroom.  I also ordered a few other titles that follow the same dystopian theme.  This is what seems to hold my students' interest.  As long as they are reading I am HAPPY!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy:
    Thanks for the book recommendations!
    I've already ordered Bar Code Tattoo, and I will have to check into Maze Runner as well.

    Wishing you a happy week ahead...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete