Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Teaching about Culture

I have started off the year teaching about culture. I found this marvelous unit, Building Bridges, on the Peace Corps website. This is an awesome site that has all kinds of lessons for all grade levels. If you want to teach your students about different cultures, this is the place to look. While I was looking around the site I found that I could ask for a volunteer to correspond with for my class. We got paired with a wonderful young man who is working with special needs young people in Jordan. My class will be emailing him several times a week and he will be sharing information about the Jordanian people with us. What a wonderful way to learn about another culture! My class is very excited about being able to correspond with this volunteer and learn about another culture. We are making a large map of Jordan to hang outside our room where we will post everything that we learn about the country and it's people. This is the address of the website. I am hoping that I have done this right so that it links right to the site. If not, I am also posting this on my Places to Visit where I know you can just click and it will take you there. http://www.peacecorps.gov/wws/publications/bridges/

No comments:

Post a Comment